Kęstutis, the son of the Grand Duke Gediminas of Lithuania, ruled the inherited Žemaitija and the Duchy of Trakai. The most famous centers of his possessions were Kaunas, Trakai, Gardinas, Brest, and he also owned Prienai.
In 1933, the construction of barracks was started to be built in Prienai, where the Prienai Garrison of the Lithuanian Army - the 3rd artillery group and the 2nd battalion of the Vth infantry regiment of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Kęstutis. In 1937, the first monument to the Grand Duke of Lithuania Kęstutis was built and sanctified on the bank of the Nemunas with the donations of soldiers and local residents. It was reinforced concrete, covered with granite, consisting of a 7.4 m high pedestal and a 2.5 m sculpture. In around 1954, the monument was demolished and buried underground. After obtaining permission to excavate the monument, in 990, the monument to the Grand Duke of Lithuania Kęstutis was rebuilt, only in a different place - near the Prienai Bridge. This monument is approximately 10 m high, with a bronze sculpture on a granite plinth. The sculptor of the monument is G. Kamarauskas, the architect is K. Lupeikis.