Pacai route

The Most Holy Heart of Lord Jesus Parish Church Complex in Jeleniewo

Church, Poland

The parish in Jeleniewo was established by King Stanisław August Poniatowski in 1772.  A chapel was constructed at that time, which was rebuilt in 1775 to become a small church. Today's wooden church with neo-Gothic elements was constructed in 1878. It is surrounded by a stone wall with chapels. There is a separate, wooden bell tower next to it.  A part of the Baroque equipment of the temple, dating to the end of the 18th century, comes from a dismantled church in Suwałki, that was dedicated to the Holy Cross. The church attic is home to a colony of pond bats, subject to protection.