One of the largest war cemeteries from 1914-1915 in this part of Poland - resting place of 561 (or 565) German and 1534 Russian soldiers. It is located about 600 m south of the village of Rutka, on the eastern side of the road Rutka - Podwysokie Jeleniewskie, on the edge of the proglacial valley of the Czarna Hańcza river. In the vicinity of Lake Hańcza in the autumn of 1914, there were fierce battles between the Russian and German armies. After the Russians were driven out in 1915, the Germans established a cemetery here. It is built on a circular plan, lying on four terraces reinforced with stone retaining walls, which are connected by stone stairs. In the center of the highest terrace stands a concrete Latin cross. It was restored in 1998.
Dr. Dariusz Maciej Ambrosiewicz